U.S. Patent Prosecution Fundamentals
PPF102 is a self-paced intermediate plan of study in U.S. patent prosecution. Upon successful completion, students will have been taught substantial fundamentals in prosecuting patent applications in the United States. Detailed procedural analysis, advanced research techniques, plus finding, assessing and troubleshooting filing errors and implementing their solutions will be covered.
PPF102MSP - $496.00
- U.S. Patent Prosecution Fundamentals Course
- Approximate Total Duration: 16 hours
PPF102MSX - $596.00
- U.S. Patent Prosecution Fundamentals Course + Final Exam
- Approximate Total Duration: 18 hours
Lesson 1: Patent Fundamentals
• Patent vs. Trademark vs. Copyright
• Differences Between Types of Patents
- Utility, Plant & Design
• Parts of a U.S. Patent Application
• Patent Prosecution Process
- Basic Patent Prosecution Flow Chart
Lesson 2: Foreign Filing Licenses / Priority Claims / Determining Application Type
• Foreign Filing License
• What is a “Priority Claim”?
- Foreign Priority Claim
- Domestic Priority Claim
- Correcting Priority Claim
• Application Relationships:
- Continuation vs. Divisional vs. Continuation-In-Part applications
· What are they?
· When are they filed?
· Why are they filed?
Lesson 3: Review - Priority Claims & Understanding Claim Design
• Priority Claim Review
• Understanding Claim Design
• Electronic Filing System (EFS)
- What is a Claim?
- Independent vs. Dependent claims
- Multi-dependent claims
- How to count claims for filing
- Claim count worksheet
- Calculating claim fees
Lesson 4: Information Disclosure Statements & Related Filings
• What is an Information Disclosure Statement?
- Who has a duty to Disclose?
- Ramifications of Not Filing an IDS
- What is included on an IDS
• QPIDS (Quick Path Information Disclosure Statement)
• Third Party Submissions
• IDS Worksheet
Lesson 5: Prosecution & Rejections
- Basic Prosecution
- Expedited Prosecution
• Prioritized Examination – Track 1
• Accelerated Examination
• Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH)
• Petition to Make Special (based on applicant’s age)
• Restriction & Species Requirements
- What they are & the difference between the two
• Rejections: §101, §102, §103 & §112
Lesson 6: Appeals
• What is an Appeal?
• Who can Appeal?
• Patent Trial and Appeal Board
• Appeal Process
• Notice of Appeal
• Pre-Appeal Brief Request for Review
• Appeal Brief
• Brief & Answer
• Reply Brief
• Appeal Docketed
• Appeal Process Flow Chart
Lesson 7: Review / Issue Process / PTA / Abandonment & Revival
• Notice of Allowance & Fees Due
- Part B (PTOL-85)
- Notice of Allowability / Examiner’s Amendment
- File Review
• Amendment Under Section 1.312 & Issue Fee Payment
• Issue Notification
- Patent Term Adjustment
• Abandonment & Revival
- Petition to Withdraw Holding of Abandonment
Lesson 8: Review, Patents, PTA, Corrections & PTAB Trial Proceedings
• Letters Patent
• Patent Term Adjustment: “A”, “B” & “C” Calculation
- Request for Reconsideration
• Correcting Patents
- Certificates of Correction
• Trial Proceedings